The purpose of the Discussion section is to interpret and synthesize your findings. The function of the Discussion is to interpret your results. You need to connect your findings to what was already known about the topic/issue. Explain how you view the developments. Pivot your discussion on your findings or results.
Always connect the Discussion to the Introduction section by using the research question(s) or hypotheses you have put forward in your research. Do not simply repeat or rearrange the Introduction. Elucidate how previous findings are interpreted in light of your new understanding of the problem.
Consider the following guidelines for discussion section:
- You should begin by reiterating the purpose of your research and your major findings.
- Connect your findings to other research.
- Explain where you expect your work may lead, and suggest specific ideas for extending your findings.
- Describe any conceptual or technical limitations of the research.
- Explain the significance of your findings.
- Like the previous sections, the discussion should have a clear organization and narrative flow. You are encouraged to organize your Discussion section in separate sub-sections.